Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Family Reunion at Gilbert Ranch

In June all of Tommy's family got together at a ranch in central Nevada. I was thinking it would be pretty desolate there, but it was actually quite beautiful.
We first drove to Las Vegas and on the way there, instead of going I-70 to I-15 we decided to take a detour.
It did make our trip about an 1.5 hours longer (so it was 12.5 hours) but it sure was pretty... I think it is actually worth the extra time!
We drove through Zions National Park and it started pouring... and I mean POURING rain!
Below is a pic I took through the windshield. Do you see the waterfall? Well, that is not usually there... that is how hard it was raining!!!


Here is the barn at Gilbert Ranch in Nevada. It had a huge living area and a table that actually fit all of Tommy's family!

Here are the four bedrooms in the barn. Tommy's 3 sisters and 1 brother stayed in the barn.




Beautiful huh? We were really roughin' it!
This is the house that we stayed in with one of Tommy's sisters.
It was nice having some private space away from everyone, although I constantly
had bad dreams of Graham waking up in the middle of the night and
going out in the pond... it was really terrifying! I actually ended up sleeping on
the sofa by the kids.
This was our room

And this was our view

Graham and his cousin Drew at the chicken coop. Graham loved those chickens! He even went inside and collected eggs!

Tera, Tommy's sister, put together some crafts for the kids to do:
Decorating Visors
Tie-Dye T-Shirts
Graham was not really interested in crafts
Him and his cousin Drew played with a remote control 'digger' instead.

This is us on the little fishing boat, taking a little drive around the pond

Our niece, Rory, got in and we went for another spin.
Graham kept wanting to touch the water, so he would lean over - while holding my hand, of coarse! - and I would lean over the other way to balance.
There were rainbow trout in the pond and occasionally we would see them surface
There were probably 5 or 6 four wheelers, so Tommy and I went for a drive up
a steep path just north of the ranch.
This is a pic of us at the top of the trail

The view at the top of the trail... that is the side the ranch was on
It was so beautiful up there!
Who would have thought this was Nevada?!
The view from the other side of the trail. We followed the trail down this side
for a little bit before heading back.
Some of Tommy's family that had gone on this trail later that day, had an
encounter with a deer. It pretty much jumped OVER one of them on their 4-wheeler.
Pretty crazy!
Before dinner that first night, we went shooting. It was actually a lot of fun! I have shot
rifles before but never a hand gun. I thought the hand gun was WAY more fun!!!
I shot a 9mm and 22. The picture is of the 9mm.
I really liked the 22 because there was no kick back... but I could do a 9mm again
I'm pretty patriotic, huh?!

This is Tommy shooting the 9mm. He is a really good shot, so watch your back!

The next day we shot rifles. But we didnt' get any pictures of that. The one below is the
one I shot, an AR-15


This one Tommy shot, a 50 caliber rifle.
Let me just say... HOLY COW!!! That was a big gun!
Tommy's brother, Trent, was the first to shoot it (without any warning, I might add)
and the sound was absolutely deafening! You could actually feel the pressure
of the gun firing and I was like 3 feet away.
We had a really fun filled day and I am so grateful for Tommy's family and that we could spend time with them... and one of the greatest things is there was zero cell reception
and no internet. It truly was a getaway! Hopefully we can do it again!

4 comments:

Humphries said...

I love the new family picture you put up. Looks like it was a great trip and I never would have guessed Nevada could be that beautiful.

Jessica said...

Lovin' your blog! Great pics of the reunion. Makes me miss everyone all over again!

Davetami41 said...

Hello, we are looking for information on this gilbert ranch, is it a place you can rent for family reuinions? or a family owned ranch. we stumbled on it by mistake last saturday while scouting for elk.

Annie said...

Davetami41-
it is actually a family owned ranch, I don't believe they rent it out, sorry!