Sunday, April 5, 2009

Follow the Prophet

I feel so blessed to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! This weekend was filled with such inspiration and words that I needed to hear. Twice a year the prophet of our church and his apostles give us counsel and teachings of what we should be doing.

I am going to be very honest that usually, at least once, I end up falling asleep and missing something. I always try to take notes - because it is hard to fall asleep when your hand is moving but it still always seems to happen. This year I really wanted to "get into it". It is always amazing to me that when you pray for help, God so willing gives it! And let me just say, that I felt the spirit so strong and really enjoyed what was said.

I always try to identify themes in all the talks (there were 26 talks) and I think that the main theme (at least one that I caught) was to Keep Your Eye On the Mark. There were many talks that spoke about our troubled times financially and morally, and that we should remember what is important: Our Faith in Jesus Christ, Raising our Families to be Strong in Christ's Gospel, and to Attend the Temple. When we focus on those things things fall into place. I want to touch on some of my favorites:


Robert D Hales : Apostle in the Quorum of the Twelve
He spoke on living providently.... and I always need to hear this. I try not to be worldly but there always seems to be so many things that I would like to have... He said we need to JOYFULLY live within our mean (catch the keyword?) and to focus on what you do have, not what you don't; because when you focus on the latter it pulls you away from the spirit.



Henry B Eyring : First Counselor in the Presidency
He talked about overcoming trials comes from our faith in Christ. He spoke that Christ physically experienced all that we did in Gethsemane and that he knows how to help and heal us. Our trials humble us and help us to receive the word of God more fully. One of my favorite things he said was "YOU ARE NOT YET JOB". We joked that I was going to get that done in vinyl lettering for my wall; but I really think that statement puts life into perspective - look at the person who lost EVERYTHING and how he dealt with it.


Rafael Pino : Member of the Quorum of the Seventy
Spoke of losing a child to a drowning accident and how something like that can break you, if you let it. But they remembered to be grateful that they were an eternal family and that death could not break those bonds. He related the story of the wise man and the foolish men. The wise man built his house upon the rock, the foolish on the sand. The interested thing he pointed out (that I never really picked up on, I must be a little slow) is that the rain, and wind hit both homes. Just because the wise man built his house in a good place didn't mean the storm wouldn't hit him. I took that to home (haha) that we need to be strong in our testimonies because trials WILL hit us and we will be able to withstand the wrath of the storm when we are centered in Christ.

Dieter F Uchtdorf : Second Counselor in Presidency
All answers come through the gospel of Jesus Christ and it is the ultimate formula for happiness. We don't aquire eternal life in a sprint, it is a long distance journey. We have to be doing things everyday, we can't just plant the seed and nurture it until it is a tree and then leave it; we CAN'T neglect the tree!! This is not a "SPECTATOR SPORT" we need to get off the sidelines and start practicing to be what we want to become. He invited us to start where WE are (not someone else) and begin walking toward Christ.

Jeffrey R. Holland : Apostle in the Quorum of the Twelve
He spoke about Jesus and that he took THE LONELIEST JOURNEY to pave the way to our salvation. This helps us turn to him when we feel lonely or abandoned. He spoke about Pilate who washed his hands of responsibility; of Judas, who was one who walked with Christ and knew him, and his ultimate betrayal for a mere 30 silver pieces; Peter, who denied him three times; how he was alone in the Garden of Gethsemane. Christ, who was perfect in every way, atoned for us; he felt physical pain that we would feel and also the spiritual pain, from sin - when the spirit is removed from us, so that his atonement could be infinite. He knows how to succor his people because of this. We are never alone because of him, even when our path is lonely and our cross is difficult to bear.

Thomas S. Monson : Prophet
FOCUS ON OUR BLESSINGS!! God hath not given me the spirit of fear, but of a sound mind. Be of good cheer, for I the Lord am with you. Men are that they might have JOY.


Okay, so I know that is a lot... and there were many other great things that were said; these were the things that really stood out to me.

2 comments:

The Easton Family said...

AMEN! I love General Conference!

coloradoeaston said...

You are a good example! That reminds me I should start taking notes again. It really helps you focuse.

Sarah