Saturday, September 4, 2010

Just Call Me "Sucker"

So this morning I went to the airport to pick up my friend, Ashli
When we got to her house, I helped bring in some of her luggage.
Her husband says "Did you see those caterpillars?"

"Where?" we all replied...

And sure enough there were four caterpillars on their porch.

Knowing how much Graham would like to see them, I asked for a container...
Why do I do this to myself???
I know, it's because I love to see Graham light up :)

These are called American Dagger Caterpillars.
Supposedly the black "lashes" on their backs are poisonous...
as in they might cause skin irriation.

I told Graham that he couldn't touch these...
1. Because I don't want him to get a rash and
2. Because it would be cool if they turned into butterflies

I am thinking that they will probably die because Ashli said that she sprayed her porch with pesticides about a month ago...
and they aren't lookin' too good.
But really that is ok, because after I did some google research (don't you just LOVE google?  I sure do!!!) I found out that it is actually a moth caterpillar...
this is what it will turn into...


So, maybe I am prejudice... I want our caterpillar that turns into a butterfly to live,
and the caterpillars that turn into moths I kinda want to perish... ok not kinda, hehe.
But who really wants more moths flying into their homes this year because they are attracted to the lights on inside...
Moths must not be very smart for this reason, because in our house they die (with help of coarse) very quickly
(on a side note, I also think deer are extremely dumb.  We travel A LOT and always see deer remains on the side of the road, but do we ever see antelope remains?  No!  So deer and moths are dumb, antelope and butterflies... well, they are at least smarter than their counterparts)

As I was driving home with these caterpillars (and before I found out they would turn into these nasty fuzzy things pictured above) I was thinking about how excited Graham would be.
(and he was, he said these exact words "Thank you, thank you, thank you mommy! Thank you for the surprise!")
So that is why I am a sucker.  I am a sucker because I love to see Graham happy.  He was close to joyful at the sight of these little yellow insects...
But I also have realized something...
I was excited too.
I have been blaming preschool for his love of all things "wild" but maybe he actually gets it from me.  It is really difficult to admit this, but I think I am (partly... I am not accepting all the responsiblity) the cause of this "love"
I guess it could be worse :)

2 comments:

Ashli Dardenne said...

Eww. They turn into moths? Gross. I went out to get the mail and there was another one on the porch. I think I'll just kill it since it turns into a moth and who wants moths around? HA!

rlw said...

You are such a good mom! You can get the caterpillars that turn into butterflies and their cage at Lakeshore. Regan's preschool class did it and she LOVED it!