Sunday, October 17, 2010

Church was awesome!!

So today our ward got really lucky.  We were spiritually fed (at least I certainly was!) by a General Authority.  President Beck the General Young Men's President came to the Denver area on Friday to do some YM training with the leaders.  Tommy went to the training yesterday morning and said that it was terrific. 
My ward was lucky because we were one of two wards chosen in the metro area for him to visit and speak.  Him and his wife spoke in Sacrament meeting and it was so uplifting.  I especially liked Sister Beck's talk.  She started talking a little about when they were called to Brazil, her husband was called as the Mission President down there.  It just so happens that my brother was serving his mission in Brazil at that time. (My brother was really excited that he got to go out to dinner with them on Friday night).  Sister Beck actually mentioned my brother, saying that she was so grateful how welcoming he was when they come.  She talked about the trials she watched the missionaries endure, and talked about how important it was to go through those.  She mentioned her own trials early in her marriage.  They had tried to have children for 7 years before they were able to adopt their daughter, after they had more children.  She said that during those 7 years there were times that she felt Heavenly Father wasn't hearing her prayers.  She said that she learned after the fact that He was listening and was in the process of answering her prayers (it just didn't happen immediately). I have heard many times that things will happen when they are supposed to and that we are to learn from our trials.  But she said something that stood out to me and was more profound to me.  She said that God had a plan for her children and certain things for them to learn, and for those things to happen she had to wait those 7 years.  It seems so obvious and simple but it was just what I needed to hear.  I know that God's ways are not my ways, they are far better, but at times I forget that and just want my way.  I do know that God is aware of me and has a plan for me, my family, and my future children.  What a great talk!
President Beck has a funny sense of humor!  He said that everyone should get the opportunity to speak in General Conference, once... We all laughed!  He also said we should all get the opportunity to sit in a meeting with the Quorum of the 12.  He related some experiences that Elder Scott and Elder Oaks said in one of their meetings about the sacred nature of the Sacrament.  He talked a lot about the Sacrament, and the Aaronic Priesthood and just how sacred the sacrament was, and that the duties of the YM in preparing the Sacrament are sacred as well.
Then I went with my brother so he could introduce me and I talked a little with Sister Beck.  I thanked her for her message, telling her it was something I really needed to hear.  She wrapped her arms around me and gave me a hug and said that everything would work out.  That our perspectives in the mist of trial are much different than after the trail has passed.  She said that I will have the opportunity in the future to help others in their trials.  It was a tender mercy for sure!
The youth had a combined second hour meeting and since I was just called last week into the Young Womens, I had the privilege to listen to that too.  They gave the youth the opportunity to ask questions and they gave answers.  What was an awesome surprise as well is that the Hillier's were also present.  When we moved out of our last ward/stake our Stake President was Brent Hillier.  In the April Conference he was called to be an Area 70.  I got to serve with his wife, Klaudette, in YW and also in the Relief Society Presidency.  She is one of my all time favorite people and it was so awesome to see and hear from her, she even sat with us in Sacrament Meeting.
Anyway, it was a great Sunday.  Very uplifting.  And I just wanted to make sure I wrote it down and remembered what I heard and how I felt.
The Church is TRUE!

David Beck, General Young Men's President

No comments: