Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Birthday

Graham's birthday was very low key this year... Since we recently moved, I have not been very motivated to do anything, let alone put a party together.  Luckily, Graham didn't mind at all.  Maybe next year we will do a party :)
We invited my family over and had cake and ice cream, and then did presents.  Graham had been asking all day to open his presents, so he was really excited when everyone arrived!!  He didn't even want cake or ice cream (if you know my child at all, you know that is very strange!!)

I made a snake cake that I copied from my sister-in-law.  I wanted to use fondant like she did but we forgot to go get some... and since his bday was on a sunday, no dice.  But we made do... and Graham loved it.  He even brought down his stuffed snake so I could look at it while I was frosting the cake (hence the white stripes)

Blowing out his candles.... one. at. a. time.

I did two cake flavors: the kids was fun-fetti and the adult's was red velvet (very gruesome, I know lol)
No one wanted the head, which I thought was weird.  I don't think it ever got eaten.

And of coarse Graham got spoiled! He got a big floor puzzle, of who else?  But of coarse Thomas!

How to Train Your Dragon movie- we love it at our house!
And Mavis, the train

He also got Hiccup and Toothless from said movie.  He got nerf guns, and more trains, a CD player (which I am already reporting he has broken the antenna off...), a remote control truck and some clothes.
He was very grateful for everthing he got and shared VERY well with his cousins.

I really can't believe he is already 5.  I know that is totally cliche to say, but it is so true.  He still asks me to carry him (which I do, even though he is almost 50lbs!!), lay with him in bed, he says he "Needs me".  All things that tell me he is still my little guy...However, I know he is growing up. 
The worst part about his birthday was his 5 year old shots.  He went last tuesday and got four.  It was much harder than when he was a baby, because this time he looked at me (while I was pinning him down) with tear filled eyes saying "Stop! You are hurting me"  That is WAY worse than the screams of an infant.  THEN, he was practically crawling for two days because he was in so much pain.  His leg was rock hard, red, and swollen... Poor guy!  I totally bribed him with donuts if he was good (there was a Winchells across the street) and to be honest, he didn't even have to be good - he would get the donut regardless.  It was really just to help him be tough and brave, which he was.  I even had to help him with his pants and underwear when he had to go to the bathroom because just pulling them down hurt his legs too much... I am glad that is over (until he is 11 that is... at least he has several years to "recover"). 
Though I love this kid with all my being, Graham is actually going through a rough stage for me right now.  But I need to remember to enjoy it.  I was talking with a friend the other day and remembering the ease of high school life, but I realized that the challenges I had then, really felt like challenges.  In the future I will look back to now and remember the ease of having one child who was five and wishing I could go back.  I guess our perspective changes once our situations change.  I am trying to enjoy all of the time I get with him because before I know it, he won't be 5 anymore.  I hope that I never look back and wish I would have enjoyed him more.  I love my son so much, I love being a mom.  It is the best blessing I could ever ask for!

Happy Birthday Graham!  I love you!

1 comment:

Sheri E. said...

That's a very cute cake! Red velvet sounds delicious. I didn't even think about how hard shots would be at his age. But you're right, they can only cry when they're younger, but at 5 they can talk! Poor guy. I hope he had a good birthday.